

## **Graduate Council 2022-2023**

**December 1, 2022**

**Members present;** Jeremy Allen, George, Lisa Brooten, Scott Collins, Jason Dallas, Craig Gingrich-Philbrook, Matthew McCarroll, Tomas Velasco, Andy Wilber, Alicia Utecht, Zvi Rosen, Kyle Plunkett, Rachel Nozicka, Eric Brevik, Buffy Ellsworth, Usha Lakshmanan, Ed O'Donnell, Jennifer Horton, Myla Burton, Liliana Lefticariu, Farshad Kheiri, Mark Pease, Iraklis Anagnostopoulos, Bethany Radar, Julie Lindsey.

**Executive-Officio:** Costas Tsatsoulis, Karen Jones.

### **Meeting started at 8:00 AM**

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Good morning, Thanks for coming to our graduate council meeting today. I do want to indicate that this will be a relatively short meeting, as you may have seen, we have a few members who are not able to be with us, and even with the resolution that I sent you from the new programs committee, we are going to withdraw, and I will talk more about that when we get there. We have a good critical mass to start, so let us go ahead and begin with the consideration of the minutes from the previous meeting.

### **Consideration of the minutes of the previous meeting**

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Were there any observations that members had about those minutes? That they would like to ask us to correct.

**Nozicka:** I did have a minor correction, and it was probably a mistake on my part, but in the minutes, it says that I mentioned Dr. Jeffrey Burke instead of Dr. Jeffrey Bergen and I thought that should be changed.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Francis, Rachel has a couple of other corrections, so I will send those to you after this meeting. Anything else?

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Do we have the motion to approve the minutes?

**Boulukos:** Moved.

: Seconded.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Thank you, if you approve of the minutes, will you put Yes, minutes into the chat, and similarly to abstain or vote No, put that in the chat too.

### **Minutes approved (17-0-0)**

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Okay, Great. Thank you very much. Well, as you see, from the agenda, neither the chancellor nor provost can join us today and that has to do with other meetings on campus, at least one involving the Board of Trustees. So, we will move forward in the agenda to Costas to give us a report from the Vice-Chancellor's office.

### **Remarks from Vice-Chancellor for Research/Dean of the Graduate School: Costas Tsatsoulis**

**Tsatsoulis:** Good morning, first, let me say happy December to everybody. I have three favorite months, December, May, and August. These are the months when our students graduate and the months when your hard work and their hard work get rewarded. So, I am looking forward to the commencement, and I hope to see all of you there. I have a couple of good news to share.

**Graduate Fair:** About exactly two weeks ago we held our first graduate fair and I want to thank the programs, the colleges, and the schools that participated. For the first time of doing something is always a challenge, but I think it was a success, and we reached a good number of our students as you can see in the pictures at the student center on the screen, there was quite a bit of traffic and I wanted to thank you and appreciate the effort everybody took to participate and to organize this.

**Research numbers:** The other thing I wanted to show you is our November research numbers. Since this is just the end of November, please keep in mind that these numbers are not necessarily hundred percent accurate. We submitted seven point thirty-five million dollars (\$7.35 million), in proposals of which the majority were Federal grants. Our awards were four million (\$4 million) and there you can see the difference between the efforts we put into submitting proposals for Federal grants, and how much money we get. There is a substantial difference there and we need to continue to support our faculty to be successful in Federal funds.

Our external expenditures came close to four million (\$4 million), but the research was only one. That is not a bad number historically for us, but you must keep in mind that in the external expenditures, we include things like the broadcasting service, rural health, head start, legal clinic, and so on. So, the numbers can be a little bit misleading in a positive way, because our research-related expenditures were about one million dollars (\$1 million), and this has been a trend in the last decade or so. The research expenditures will be about twelve to thirteen million at the end of the year.

**Retention of students:** The last thing I wanted to show you has to do with the retention of students, specifically the retention of minority and underrepresented students. I started looking at the retention of graduate school over graduate students and I wanted to show you these numbers out of power Bi, and this is something that you may want to consider thinking about it with your programs, your departments, and your colleges. As you can see on the screen, these are master students on campus, I have selected on-campus, because, for off-campus the numbers are different and there is a different population. You can see the cohort of different years who came in and the first-year retention rates. The number of students that leave is about twenty-five percent (25%) in the first year and if I did the same thing for PhD Students, you would see ten to twelve percent (10% - 12%) in the first year. That is a large loss of students in just one year, and it is something that we need to work on. I am working with the institutional research to get slightly different numbers to know, for example, how many students graduate in one year because that will change the numbers. Retention is connected not only to students leaving but also to students graduating. Now, I do not think a lot of students graduate in one year, but they may, and these numbers may be slightly different. This is something for us to take seriously into account and find out what we can do to improve the retention rate of our first-year students, both master's and PhDs on campus.

One of the things that I am working on with Karen about that is, recently, at least, we have asked our students how they feel about the program, their faculty, and their experience. So, we are preparing a survey of all graduate students that we will give them in the spring to gauge their satisfaction with their experience in SIU and Carbondale. There are reasons why students leave, it could be financial, personal or they simply do not like the place, or academic. But we do not know right now what these reasons are, and we would like to find out. So, when the survey is ready, I would like the help of everybody on this zoom, all the dawgs, and so on to make sure that we get the highest possible participation from our students. We cannot know what our students think unless we get a good representative sample of what our students think. I know not all the news is good, but I will let Karen give you the good news about our enrollment, and I will entertain any questions you have about the things that we just discussed.

### **Questions for Vice-Chancellor for Research/Dean of the Graduate School**

**Ellsworth:** I have a question about the funding. so, you said that four million dollars (\$4 million) in funding was awarded, and then two million (\$2 million) of that was State funds, and one hundred and seventy-five thousand (\$175,000) was Federal funds, was that right?

**Tsatsoulis:** That is correct.

**Ellsworth:** So, is the rest Foundation Grant?

**Tsatsoulis:** It is foundation grant, and it is under the general classification of others. So it could be, for example, the NPR Station is Federal, but we do not count them because they are not research related. We have a number of these funds, and I excluded things like Pell grants and financial aid and so on of course, but we get a number like the Cares Act a few years ago which used to give us a lot of money, it would count as Federal funds, but not as research. So, I just focused on Federal funds that are classified as research.

**Ellsworth:** Thank you and I had one comment about graduate retention. I was just going to say in our program, we do have some students who by the end of the first year just do not make it and we rarely have a student just decide to leave, so for us, any lack of retention is usually just because the student was not performing well, I do not know if that is useful. I just thought I would share that.

**Tsatsoulis:** No, you are right, as I said, one of the reasons Students do not stay is academic, you know they just do not make it. There are also programs that I am familiar with in nursing and education for instance, in the first year if you do not pass a certain exam, you cannot be certified, in which case you must leave. These are all part of the conversation, but I am overly concerned when I see twenty-five percent (25%) of our students not staying for another year.

**Allen:** I have a question for you before you swap it over. If you do not mind. The screen that you shared has a specific program to look at retention, right? Is that the program that you are going to use going forward?

**Tsatsoulis:** Yes, that is the power bi that has all these statistics.

**Allen:** Okay. So, can you share with us how it breaks down ethnicity? The reason I ask is that the barriers that Black students from Africa, for example, face are different from the barriers that African Americans face, so if it just uses Asians as a category, it is not going to be helpful and there is a glaring omission on there with sexuality.

**Tsatsoulis:** Absolutely, the problem with the students of color from other countries is that they all get classified as international because we follow the Federal guidelines and no classification says, you know the student is African, or the student is Indian, and so on. That is one of the problems with the data that we are collecting, and Sexuality is also not collected. So, that is one of the reasons we are talking about having a survey because in a survey students can self-identify, and we may be able to pull out issues that students are facing. I am very much aware that international students have quite different problems and issues than domestic.

**Allen:** The reason I mention it is that sometimes international students of African origin are not used to show data which then skews results for African Americans. Simply counting people as black is not helpful, because as I said, different barriers and then I understand that those are the Federal guidelines, but can I be honest? We need to do better than that if we have a retention problem, and I appreciate what you are saying, but relying on people to self-identify is also problematic and if we need to discuss this, other than in this form, we certainly can, but if you want to know the reasons, we will have to ask the questions.

**Tsatsoulis:** I agree with you. Let me clarify, African students are not counted as black; they are counted as international. It is only students who are citizens or permanent residents that we count their ethnicity. The second thing is even when the statistics that we have, everybody self-identifies, we are not allowed by the Federal guidelines to look at somebody and say, you are a female or Black! We are not allowed to do that, everybody's gender, identity, and ethnicity are self-identified.

**Allen:** I recognize that, but what I was saying was if you were going to rely on a survey for the self-identification, that is going to be potentially problematic.

**Tsatsoulis:** I agree with you, we will do the best we can, and another thing that I did not want to mention because right now we do not have the resources, but someday we will is that, I would like to be able to have a phone call with every single person who leaves and find out the reasons if they are willing to speak with us, the same way we do when our faculty leaves so that we have kind of an exit interview. Let me point out one more thing when I say that 20% of our students leave that is a little bit dismissive and hides the reality that we are talking about Two Hundred (200) people, so I want us to keep in mind that we lose Two Hundred of our first-year master students every year, and these are the students we rely on, and we need to replace. So, please all of you remove the 20% from your mind and put in there Two Hundred, this is the way we need to focus on in supporting our students, and thank you very much, Jeremy, for that.

**Allen:** Graduate school is hard and sometimes people leave and am okay with that, but what am not okay with is identity-based people not getting supported, our university not providing everybody with an equal opportunity for that success. Some people are going to leave anyway, it is difficult, but we need to work harder to make sure the reasons people leave are not reasons that we can fix.

**Tsatsoulis:** I agree with you, and that is why we need to find out the reasons and then see if we can address them.

**Lakshmanan:** I have a question, now of those two hundred students who leave every year, when you made your presentation, you said that we do not know how many of them have completed the degrees like there are some master's degree students who could finish in a year, So why will the program not separate that?

**Tsatsoulis:** The first problem we have is that it is a data issue, and we are working with institutional research to fix that. If you look at the data, you will see that what they are collecting is the fourth year, fifth year, and sixth year graduation rate for undergraduates. So, we need to collaborate with them to change the graduation rates and it is also not clear to me when we are looking at the cumulative graduation rate for 6 years is 86% to 87%. Now the question is, do truly our master students stay here for 6 years? The collected statistics focused on undergraduates, so, we are going to work with institutional research, to make sure we get first-year graduation, second year, and third year, instead of fourth, fifth, and sixth, which makes sense for undergraduates, but not for graduate students. So, I agree with you Usha, that our data is not necessarily 100% correct, but we are going to work and fix that. Any other questions? Thank you

### **Remarks from Associate Dean & Director of Graduate School: Karen Jones**

**Jones:** Okay, so at the beginning of the meeting, I did put up a link to my report, but I am going to share my screen as well. So as Costas mentioned, we have good news to report as far as enrollment for spring 2023. This is the same program that Costas was just using to look at our retention percentages, but this is a different function of that same program that looks at the enrollment funnel. On the screen, the gray bar represents the number of applicants that have completed their application materials and paid their application fees, the gold is admissions, and the brownish color is the number of registered students. Our timeline is by year, so we are looking at the same time point over the last 5 years. Right now, we have Nine Hundred and Fifty-One (951) applications in the queue, and these are those that have gone through the program review and are back to us for admission. We have admitted four Hundred and Seventy-Nine (479) students, and we currently have Forty-Seven (47) students registered for spring. As many of us know, a lot of graduate students wait until the last minute to register, so, we are hoping to get this number high up before the semester begins in January. As far as what we have in the graduate school that we are working on currently, we have twenty-two (22) international applicants and twenty-eight (28) domestic. So that is better than where we were at the beginning of the semester. These categories were around One Hundred and Fifty (150) and we have been able to pair them down, and that is because of the adjustments the graduate council allowed us to make as far as GPA calculations.

Our I-20s are all caught up with us as of yesterday, the I-20 is the paperwork necessary for international students to get their visas. So that is a good sign, but the students would still have to get their appointments with their embassies before visas are issued.

When the graduate council allowed us to suspend the graduate school's requirement of GPA calculations, Jeremy suggested that at this meeting we bring back a recommendation if we wanted to keep this system in place and these numbers are indicative that this is working well as far as creating a larger number of admitted students and I am going to recommend it because I am still down in admission staff, one has returned, but I am still out two. One of them is going to be chronic because of health issues and for the other one, we are waiting on HR to do testing for that position, and we are just waiting on them to give us names so that we can do interviews and we are not clear on how long that process is going to take. Now, I am hopeful that you will allow us to continue to use the modified admissions procedures, and I do not know if that needs to have a formal vote or what? Craig, I will let you oversee that, and I do not know if we need to do it now or later.

The rest of my report is just information on events coming up in spring.

**Workshop:** We are going to have another workshop for our director of graduate studies and this one will be on February 15, 2023.

**MAGS regional competition:** We have a new activity for the graduate school, and it is a competition for outstanding graduate student teachers. This is the Midwest Graduate School Group (MAGS) which has a regional competition, and we would like to put forward our students. We have great graduate teachers on campus, and so what we are asking is that, if they would nominate a master's level and a doctoral-level student to participate, we are going to have an internal award competition here, and then we will take our winners and move them onto the MAGS regional competition. Nominations are due to graduate school Friday, January 20, 2023.

**Fellowships and Awards:** We have a lot of fellowships and awards coming up.

- i. Doctoral and Morris Fellowship nominations are due to graduate school on January 13, 2023. The Morris fellowship is the largest, and that is a full ride for graduate students.
- ii. The Graduate Dean's fellowship that is due on January 20, 2023.



- iii. Proactive Recruitment of multicultural Professionals for tomorrow (PROMPT), which is for first-time graduate students, and is a recruitment for multicultural professionals, and those nominations are also due to graduate school on January 20, 2023.
- iv. Native American scholarship applications are due on February 1, 2023.
- v. Dissertation Research Award (DRA) for students that are in the last stages of drafting their dissertation award nominations are due March 31, 2023.

**3MT competition:** The very last thing that I must announce is that we are going to have a 3MT competition again this year. This is a competition where students present their work in 3 minutes, or less and there will be more details coming out about that, but we have decided on the date of the competition, which is February 3, 2023.

### **Questions for Associate Dean & Director**

**Allen:** I got a question, the PROMPT award that you spoke of, you said, First-time graduate students. Can you clarify what that means?

**Jones:** This means newly enrolled graduate students.

**Allen:** So, it could be somebody that graduated from here, with a master's and moved on to a doctoral program is that acceptable?

**Jones:** To be honest, I do not know the detailed rules. I am going to just say it is all on that website.

**Lakshmanan:** I have a question, the number nine hundred and fifty-one (951) refers to what exactly, I did not get it.

**Jones:** These are applications that have been made to the graduate school, and they have all their materials submitted, and they have paid their application fees, and that can be for any semester. So, it could be a spring, a fall, or a summer application and these are just the applications that are in the system right now.

**Lakshmanan:** Okay, so these are new applications and then the other numbers you gave of twenty-eight (28) and twenty-two (22), I think just twenty-two internationals, are those people who have been admitted, is it?

**Jones:** Those are people that have been reviewed at the programmatic level and are recommended for admissions, and we at the graduate school are reviewing those recommendations.

**Lakshmanan:** I have one last question, which is about those fellowship deadlines coming up. Now, I know, from experience, that people who are first-time applicants to any program, they can also be recommended for a fellowship like the masters, and so on, but I recall that we made this change about the transcripts. How would that impact someone who needs to be considered for a fellowship? I do not know whether the change for admission purposes, extending the deadline, would also impact the requirements for graduate fellowship applications. So, at the time of admitting a new student into a graduate program, we can consider them for a fellowship. My question has to do with whether the fellowship now requirements are consistent then, with the admission requirements as far as transcript submission is concerned.

**Jones:** So, Usha, we have always allowed admissions or made the recommendation for admissions based on the unofficial transcripts. It is only right before you register that they bring in their official transcripts, I could be wrong, but I do not think that is going to impact the fellowship award process.

**Lakshmanan:** Let me say it a bit differently, supposing we admit a student, but if your graduate fellowship requirement does not reflect our new changes, then there could be some students who are qualified to enter the program who would otherwise have been considered for the fellowship who would not be considered for the fellowship, because the fellowship criteria, now they require official transcripts for all at this point.

**Jones:** So, I think that is a great point, and I will follow up with Crystal to look at the actual requirements of the fellowships, but we can not necessarily change the requirements of the fellowships, because a lot of that is donor money, and those criteria are set when the people donate the money, so they are not necessarily easy to change the fellowship requirements.

**Lakshmanan:** You know this was the problem that we face previously in my old school because there was a student who could not be considered for a fellowship even when She was already in the program, admitted, and all of that, but she could not be considered because she could not submit an official transcript of program that she attended ten years ago like it was a community college thing, that is the problem, I see inconsistency and

that some students, especially nontraditional students, are going to be impacted negatively.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Usha, this is part of what we were trying to work on, as you remember, in education policies last year, and I worked hard to get some time with the Director of the center for international education and was not successful in getting that time to try to get some access to the numbers of people who are sort of caught in the trap that you are talking about here, and I did a lot of work to try to track down how it was that we could identify where those requirements came from. So, I think that the place that it is at this moment at least, my understanding from the end of last year is that we have also had a change in administration at the graduate school and there would be an effort made on behalf of those members to try to provide some sort of procedure for what we might think of as a kind of benefit of the doubt coming from being able to establish an effort to provide that official transcript, particularly if there is just one missing, but Karen and Costas and I can talk about that.

**Lakshmanan:** I just want to say one thing, and that is not an issue that only impacts international students. That student who could not is domestic.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Ok, that was not the understanding that I had from you last year. So, I am sorry.

**Lakshmanan:** There were two other cases, and one was different. The issue with the transcript was a different one and it impacts everybody.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Yes, and I think that part of the difficulty here is that the graduate school's hands are tied with how the fellowship requirements were developed in the first place relative to the potential of foundation money, and it is unfortunate that that is so difficult to track down. I spent a lot of time last year trying to solve this question. It is not off the agenda, and I appreciate you bringing it up, but it is not a thing that we can solve here, or that these members can simply wave away. It is important perhaps since you are still on education policies to work with that committee to try to answer these questions with us, but we are not able to solve this question today, and I believe that the graduate school hears this issue.

**Tsatsoulis:** You are correct Craig, this is something that we need to look at, as Karen was pointing out, some of the requirements are set by the donor, which makes it a little

bit more difficult. I have seen students who have been in three or four different institutions, community colleges, a couple of them, then another institution. So, I realized what Usha is saying that it can be challenging for them to get all the transcripts, I think even for domestic students, the journey of somebody to a graduate school and fellowship can take many different paths and we want to support the students who make it to SIU in Carbondale graduate school and deserve a fellowship, so we need to investigate that, and I appreciate the feedback that we have received so far. So that is going to be one of the tasks for us to investigate and work of course, with the graduate Council and even the foundation. Sometimes the donors are more than willing to change some of the requirements of the fellowship, and the endowed fellowship, and we will see what we can do. Thank you.

**Lakshmanan:** I just want to say that it could be a simple matter, I think, even if it is something that was set up by the foundation level for these grants or fellowships, it may be that this was some misunderstanding as to what they meant by official transcripts. They may not have intended that every transcript, even from the community college level. it is a question of understanding what it is that they need. Certainly, it is much easier for someone to give the official transcript of the last one that they graduated from. So, the situation affecting a student from my school was that she could not produce an official transcript from a community college.

**Tsatsoulis:** Yeah, I understand this, and I said, I appreciate this feedback, and what we want to do is to do the best thing we can for our students. At the same time, some of the donors are deceased, and we need to reach out to people who still represent them if we can find them. Having done this in the past, let me tell you that it is not as trivial as it sounds to find the donor and change the letter of intent, but we can investigate that and see how we can reinterpret some of these fellowships.

**Lakshmanan:** Thank you.

**Wilber:** Thanks, Dr. Jones. Do you have any recommendations about programs or software that we could use as a program to calculate, GPAs from international students?

**Jones:** There is a service that we use, and I am sorry that the name is eluding me now, if you send me an email, I will talk to Deon and see if we can get you that information. It is tricky because every country can be different and the calculations are different, so if

there is a specific country that you are interested in, that is an easier question to answer but I can get you hooked up with Deon, and we can see if we can help you.

**Wilber:** That is great, Thank you.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Are there any other questions for Karen?

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** We have a guest who will be presenting for John Pollitz, and her name is Jennifer Horton.

### **Remarks from Dean of Library Affairs: John Pollitz**

**Horton:** Hi, I am the interim Associate Dean at the library. So, Dean Pollitz could not be here today, and he did not have a lot to report, but just wanted to let you know that for the next two weeks the library will be open for some extra hours for finals, and you can find the hours on the website, but Monday through Thursday will be up until midnight each day, and we are also starting to prepare for the spring semester. Each semester we hold graduate workshops on different topics like getting started with your literature review, how to use endnote desktop, and things like that. So, we will be sending out information through the graduate school, who have been great in helping us email every semester to all the graduate students about it. So, if you ever think of a topic that you want your students to learn more about with research or anything to do with the library, let me know, or anyone here at the library, if you want special workshops just for your program or your college or school, we can do that as well. So, for anything that you might need, we are happy to help the graduate students. That is all I had to report, thank you.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Thank you so much.

### **Report from Council Chair: Craig Gingrich-Philbrook**

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** I have a couple of things to work through with you today.

The first is that there had been a question about the nature of the spring meetings. Would we return to being in person? When the Chancellor and I decided to have the meetings via zoom at the beginning of the fall, we decided to speak again about it in the spring. We

have had that conversation and are both still sort of on the same page that for the reasons of participation both in the sense of access to these early morning meetings, many of our members are single parents and have expressed the value of being able to do it on zoom as well as the accountability of the turn-taking norms of the hand raised icon, we feel that there is greater participation, we are also continuing to be somewhat concerned about health, particularly as our region has once again kind of ticked up into the middle reason of concern, and I think for the participation reasons alone, we have decided that we believe they should go forward on Zoom. We are not necessarily the sole deciders, if there is a desire to make a case about returning, what I would do is ask the members who are interested in that case, to email me and we will make room in the next executive committee to revisit this decision. Okay, I am not asking for us to have that conversation at this moment.

The second thing is that we are at work on the operating paper revision, and the Executive Committee is in the very beginning stages of working on a draft. You all as the larger Council can expect that draft, I am shooting to give you at least as clean a redraft of the operating papers as I can at that moment with any additional questions highlighted.

I want to thank Rachel Nozicka for the work that she has done to get us access to a draft of changes and help locate the history of that draft. Rachel, you do so much work for this committee in this institution and I am grateful to you for that and your assistance with that. Executive committee members, Rachel and I were able to have that conversation on Tuesday and I am trying to digest what we talked about, and you will be getting an email from me with that information as soon as tomorrow but perhaps on Monday. The nature of the revision is logistic but catches the operating paper up with the changes in the University. We are also kind of using the language of judicious changes to kind of bring us up to the now as it were, there have been changes in graduate education since the last revision of the operating paper. The process will be that we bring you a draft of that paper, and we will work on it but ideally, the council would approve a draft to be circulated to the full graduate faculty of the university at the beginning of the fall semester. The current vice chair, Tomas and I are working together on sharing this process of getting it through since he may be the person who presents it as potentially next year's chair to the full faculty and has to kind of ride through that process. So, this is largely just a kind of informational, keep this in the back of your mind and know that this is coming, and if those of you who are not on the Executive committee has an interest or an issue with the

operating paper, I invite you to go and familiarize yourself with the version that exists on the website and I would say, there are two paths for you to influence this process.

One would be to email me directly and say, I am concerned about this, “here is a thing that I think is different from what we are doing,” or “here is a change in the university that needs to be reflected in that revision.”

The second thing you might do would be to have that conversation with the chair of the subcommittee on which you serve. So, for example, if you are on education policies, you talk to Andy about that, or if you are on new programs, you talk with Heidi. I just wanted to put that out there for you, as I know this is coming. Can I answer any questions?

**McCarroll:** I understand that the committee needs to have a little bit of autonomy just to move the process forward. I am wondering if there is a mechanism, or a list of key problems that are being addressed with the document, so that when we start to look at the current document and consider whether we want to share thoughts about the process. In other words, there might be something that we are happy with, and it is a key point you are planning to change, and we would not know whether to express concern about that.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** That is an interesting point in that direction. I have not thought about it that way. Matt, what I will do is as I draft up the sort of summary of what the changes are that had already been created, in a sense, by the Graduate council, but not moved upon, because there were some questions, predominantly, as I understand it, and Rachel, please feel free to correct me about the process of how representatives are ratioed or sort of the algebra for creating how many reps that different units have? I know we must revisit that because of all the changes in the schools and that is kind of one of the key things as well as making sure that the nomenclature is correct. One of the things we are doing is trying to clarify the different roles of the different subcommittees, because that is not particularly clear in the draft, and in that clarification to try to make how things come to those subcommittees clearer so that there is not as much potential drift as committees change, and so I will share that summary of what the changes are with everyone and not just with the Executive Committee. Does that help answer your question?

**McCarroll:** Answered, thank you.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Our next report is from Educational Policies Committee, Andy.

## **Report from Educational Policies Committee: Andy Wilber**

**Wilber:** I do not have any report currently, but I would be happy to help if there is anything the Education Policy Committee can do to help with. I do not know about the GPA or the official transcripts or anything else. We are still trying to draft a revision to those 601 issues that came up months ago, we did have a couple of suggested comments that I am trying to merge into one cohesive statement to share with the group so that we can try to flush that out, but other than that, nothing is pending.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Andy, what I would say is, I would be willing to meet with your committee to talk through the history of what I tried to find out about that, and the issue that Usha is concerned about, and we can figure out how we might move on from there.

**Wilber:** That is great, thank you.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Thank you. Our next report is from GPSC, Rachel.

## **Report from GPSC: Rachel Nozicka**

**Nozicka:** Good morning, everyone. I just have a few things to report.

GPSC is working with the student multicultural resource center and the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) to help set up joint study sessions next semester, which will also include an Antiracism, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (ADEI) component, and I am going to be working with Dr. Renada Greer on the ADEI certificate to collaborate with her and see how we can help promote that.

As I mentioned before, GPSC is working with Dr. Mark Morris and Caleb McKinley-Portee in investigating timecards for students. Some graduate students are being asked to work extra hours, and then they are not being paid for, so we are looking into that.

The final thing that I wanted to mention was I had an undergraduate student approach me about a syllabus that was asking them to divulge personal medical information at the beginning of the semester so that their instructor could prepare for their absences, and so, Caleb and I are going to meet with Lisa Caringer at Disability Support Services (DSS) to make sure we kind of understand everything the DSS does for undergraduate and graduate students. Lisa Caringer is going to come to our GPSC meeting to help answer



graduate student questions to see if we can work on spreading awareness of what can and cannot be asked of students, and then what Students' rights are. That is all I had for today.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Thank you. Let us hear from Tomas

### **Report from Council Vice-Chair: Tomas Velasco**

**Velasco:** Good morning, the only thing I have to report is about the appeal from a graduate student to the graduate school. I mentioned before that, the student appeals committee, was formed and the committee decided that there was enough information that calls for the appeal to continue and we needed a hearing, from the student. So, a student grievance committee was formed, and the committee met this week, and we are hoping to hold the hearing next week. That is all I have for you right now and as soon as I have more information, I will let you know. Thank you

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Thank you, Tomas, our next report is from the Dean's Council, Dean Brevik.

### **Report from Dean's Council: Eric Brevik**

**Brevik:** Good morning, everybody, part of the big thing from the Dean's Council at this point during the year is just that the various colleges and the schools are working right now on letters of reappointment or non-reappointment for any of the Graduate assistants who might have only had a fall contract coming into this academic year, so that process is playing out right now, and the deadline for that is just coming up pretty quick here. So, if you have any graduate students who are in that position who were only issued a fall appointment, they should be hearing right about now, from their schools, whether they will be reappointed to assistantship for the spring.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Are there any questions?

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Thank you, our next report is from our faculty Senate liaison Bethany.

## **Report from Faculty Senate: Bethany Rader**

**Bethany:** Hello! Good morning. I have a short report for you. Last month the Faculty Senate met on Tuesday, the fifteenth, during which we passed the following three resolutions:

- i. A NUI or a Bs degree in statistics,
- ii. An RME to create a Dual, Bs. JD. program between communication studies and the Siu School of Law,
- iii. An RME to eliminate two specializations, the emergency medical services, and the emergency management administration specializations and this is in the public safety management Program.

That is all I have for today.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Thank you, our next report is from the new programs committee.

## **Report from New Programs Committee: George Boulukos for Heidi Bacon**

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** George, if it is okay, I will just kind of step in here and say that historically, we have had questions about the three-plus three programs. These are the joint BA and JD programs, and as Andrew and I were conversing about one of those questions we realized we sort of been given different information about it and it isn't that we think that there is any desire to confuse us, or anything like that, but we want to know what the real answers are before we move on another one of the three plus three programs, so we are working to find out those answers, and they have to do primarily with the question of what tuition student pays in that year that crosses over, we have gotten two different answers about that, and then the other one has to do with what we might think of as a path back, that is, if in that shared year the fourth year of the undergraduate program, the first year of the law school, in the first or the second semester, there is a decision that it wasn't the right choice either through academic success or inclination or some combination of that, what is the path back to the Ba degree in Poli Sci or in CMST or something like that, and we just want to make sure there are resources for that and all of that can be clearly spelled out to the students. So, we are going to pursue that information and we will have all of that for you for the next one. We are working on the verge of it, but we did not want to have the conversation here if we could not answer the

questions that had been raised by the GPSC representative with good confidence, so that is why it has been withdrawn.

### **Resolution on Poli Sci/Law School 3+3**

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Resolution Withdrawn.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Are there any questions about that? Okay, let us hear from Liliana.

### **Report from Research Committee: Liliana Lefticariu**

**Lefticariu:** Good morning, everyone, the Research Committee met last month, and we had two items on the agenda. We discussed the distribution of Grant indirect cost recovery, at SIU and we made a couple of recommendations which were sent to the VCR, and we also talk about a request from the VCR to allocate one hundred thousand for a new nuclear magnetic resonance instrument.

This month we will meet again, and we will discuss another form that came from VCR, requiring funds for the purchase, upgrade, update, and repairs of research equipment on campus. So, this is something that we are going to discuss this month. If there are any questions, please let me know.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Thank you, let us hear from the review committee Lisa.

### **Report from Program Review Committee: Lisa Brooten**

**Brooten:** Once again, I have no report, but I did want to put it on the record. It is not because we do not want to meet; we just have not had a charge and are not exactly sure what we should be doing, and I apologize for that.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** No, Lisa, we have been working on trying to figure this out, and I think we discovered what the error was in our last Executive Council meeting, and some information had been passed down to the Associate Provost's office about the role of the committee, and so we moved on, selecting some program reviewers and we have clarified

about how that will take place in the spring for next year's program reviewers. So, we are back on track and reoriented that. Thank you, Lisa, for your patience throughout that process, and for keeping us on task. I appreciate it.

**Brooten:** I was going to say if I had known it would be easy. It would not have been as hard to convince me to chair this committee.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** I think for those of you who know you are continuing next year, one of the things that Tomas will face is securing chairs for all the committees and so I urge you to kind of think about how the role that we have with those chairs in shaping graduate education here and that is a good way to participate. My talk with the chair of the committee earlier on about the nature of that committee, if you are interested in serving next year and I hope that you are. Are there any other questions about the role of the program review committee?

**Jones:** After I gave my report, I circled back around to what the Council had passed about the GPA calculations, and it has in there that we would suspend GPA calculations until January 16, 2023. I was wondering if we could have a discussion and vote. I do not want to mess up any processes, but can we extend that date?

**Allen:** I want to say that I fully support the extension of that or whatever seems to be working well, to remove the backlog and take down some barriers, so I fully support the extension and I would ask that we revisit it as a temporary measure, and maybe consider making it permanent, but let it run until our next meeting, and then we revisit them.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** So, what I see here is what we might think of as a motion from the floor to extend this suspension until we can revisit it at the February meeting, so that extension does not expire for two weeks in that period. So those of you who are for extending the suspension until we can revisit it at the February meeting please write yes, extend in the chart.

**Tsatsoulis:** Do we need a second?

**Ellsworth:** I second.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Thank you, similarly, if you would like to abstain or vote No, please do so.

**GPA Calculation Extension approved (16-0-0)**

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Thank you, are there any other end-of-meeting questions or things that we need to circle back to?

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** So then, is there a motion to adjourn?

**Adjournment**

**Boulukos:** Moved.

**McCarroll:** Seconded.

**Gingrich-Philbrook:** Thanks, everyone.

**Meeting adjourned at 9:10 AM**