

Graduate Council 2022-2023

November 3, 2022

Members present: Jeremy Allen, Heidi Bacon, George Boulukos, Lisa Brooten, Scott Collins, Jason Dallas, Craig Gingrich-Philbrook, Matthew McCarroll, Tomas Velasco, Andy Wilber, Alicia Utecht, Zvi Rosen, Kyle Plunkett, Rachel Nozicka, Eric Brevik, Buffy Ellsworth, Usha Lakshmanan, Nwamaka Anaza, Ed O'Donnell, John Pollitz, Myla Burton

Executive-Officio: Costas Tsatsoulis, Meera Komarraju, Karen Jones, Andrew Youpa

Meeting started at 8:00 AM

Gingrich-Philbrook: Thank you all for joining us today for our graduate Council meeting. To begin with, the minutes that you got will look different in a couple of respects because I neglected to press record for our last meeting and I want to thank Francis the graduate assistant to the graduate school for collaborating with me, and those of you who sent reports to him to reconstruct the minutes. I know that not all members were able to do that yet and I guess what I would ask is that we allow members to send in those informational reports if they choose to so that Francis can also add those to the minutes.

Consideration of the minutes of the previous meeting

Gingrich-Philbrook: To open the consideration of the minutes for the previous meeting, Francis one of the things that I wanted to say is that in this section where you list guests a couple of things, Myla Burton and Rachel Nozicka are members of the committee through GPSC and Gary Kinsel was a proxy for Matthew McCarroll. So, I believe they should part of the members present.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Are there any other observations about the minutes? Where? How changes that members would recommend?

Gingrich-Philbrook: Can we have a motion to approve them?

Ellsworth: Moved.

Boulukos: Seconded.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Thank you. so, if you approve of the minutes, will you put Yes, minutes into the chat?

Allen: I have a question. If they are potentially going to be modified as people add their reports to them, is it appropriate that we accept them now?

Gingrich-Philbrook: Well because the reports that members would add would be informational, but Jeremy if you are concerned about that, we can look at them again next time.

Allen: No, I do not have an issue with it. I was just making sure that we are following the proper procedure. If we are going to add to the minutes later, is it okay that we approve them now, with those additions?

Gingrich-Philbrook: I believe so given that they are informational reports, rather than accounts of the discussion of resolutions. If there were changes that came in about something like that, then I would certainly want us to be able to look at them again, and I am happy to bring them forward next time to members' wishes.

Jones: If I could suggest, whenever we post the minutes, we can have the approved minutes, and then we can have a section that is non-approved additions, or something like that.

Gingrich-Philbrook: I think that's helpful, thanks I appreciate that. similarly, then, if you wish to vote no, or abstain, you can do so at this time.

Minutes approved (16-0-0)

Remarks from the Chancellor: Austin Lane

Gingrich-Philbrook: I want to note that Chancellor Lane is unable to be with us, because of bereavement leave, and we certainly wish him and his family the best in this time.

Gingrich-Philbrook: So that leads us to our remarks from the provost.

Remarks from Provost: Meera Komarraju

Komarraju: Good morning, in terms of my remarks, I just have updates on various things and would welcome any questions that you might have.

Ethics training test: So, the first one is that you know, we have passed the deadline for the Ethics training test, and we still have hundreds of employees within academic affairs who have not completed it. So, we are trying our best to reach them, and we are requesting everyone to help us with that portion of it because, we want to be complying, and any help that we can get to make people get the training done, will be extremely helpful.

Spring registration: The second update is that the spring registration has started this week, and, you know, we are hoping that we have a strong enrollment for the spring semester.

Faculty hires: In terms of the other updates, this was a question that came up, in faculty senate, so I thought it might be of interest to the graduate Council, too, for fall 2023. We have approved forty-two faculty hires. We had about forty-four that retired or resigned and that now these two numbers are like moving targets, because even last week, we just learned of a resignation that is coming up, that we will be filling. So, these numbers are things that can sort of change, as we get information from faculty.

End of Semester: As we are entering these last few weeks of the semester, you know it can be quite stressful for students because they have gone for a long time without a break. That is the feature of, or the nature of, the fall semester and we ask that the instructors be considerate and responsive to students as they face the end of the semester.

Digital Signature: The last item is that we are doing our best to switch to digital signatures, and there are two parts to it. One is the actual, just signing a document digitally but also initiating a digital workflow process. So, for the first part, approximately eighty percent (80%) of the work that we are doing is signed digitally. For the second part, we are in a partnership system where in a few months we expect to subscribe to a software that will allow us to initiate the workflow also, and everybody and every relevant unit will have access to that software. So, with that, I am going to pause and answer any questions that anyone might have.

Questions for Provost

Gingrich-Philbrook: Are there questions for the provost?

McCarroll: I have one question. It is exciting to hear about the switch or more conclusive or inclusive switch to electronic signatures. One of the issues is that we have to go to paper copies with hiring documents. Do you know if that will change in context of the current changes you are referring to?

Komaraju: Yes. So, right now, we use this software, called High Touch, and that company has indicated that it is going out of the higher education business. So again, we are in the process of finalizing another software that will also be system-wide and more user-friendly. So that process also will be along with this other workflow software that we are subscribing to together, we will turn the corner on that portion of it where it will all be digital.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Are there other questions?

Komaraju: Craig, typically, I give an enrollment update but because my computer was restarting, I did not have that, but I have it now, is it okay for me to share that so my report will be complete?

Enrollment Update: We have forty-two weeks out from fall 2023, and so the four categories on which I have typically reported are.

- **Full-Time Freshmen:** the applications are up, ten-point six percent (10.6%), and our admissions are up one-point four percent (1.4%). So, we have admitted two thousand eight hundred and eighty-two (2,282) students.
- **Transfers on campus:** In terms of transfers on campus the applications are up twenty-one percent (21%), but our admissions are down two-point six percent (2.6%). So, these are transfers online and off-campus.
- **Off-site locations:** We have twenty (20) plus off-site locations. Our applications are down, one-point two percent (1.2%), and our admissions are down thirteen-point eight percent (13.8%).
- **Graduate Students:** In terms of graduate students, our applications are up Eleven percent (11%). We have two hundred applications, and admissions are down seventeen percent (17%).

Gingrich-Philbrook: Thank you very much, and congratulations provost on your new adventure.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Our next report is from the Vice Chancellor for Research, and the Dean of the Graduate School.

Remarks from Vice-Chancellor for Research/Dean of the Graduate School: Costas Tsatsoulis

Tsatsoulis: Good morning, we have a couple of things from the graduate school, and I will let Dr. Jones talk a little bit about it. We had a great workshop yesterday on funding

graduate education, for example, and other things. There are three things that I wanted to bring up.

Research Performance: One has to do with the research performance in October. We submitted seventy-four applications for funding totaling a little bit over Eleven million dollars (\$11 million). Our awards were very, very robust, forty-two proposals have been funded for almost five million dollars (\$5 million). Assuming you multiply this by twelve, and I know that is not always true, we are talking about sixty million (\$60 million) awards, which could be a record. So, I will just stay with that. Our expenditures were also robust, as you know, during the year, our expenses are not as strong as during the summer months. We have faculty salaries, and other things, so the numbers look nice.

Approval of NMR Equipment: I also want to thank the Research Committee of the Graduate Council for approving a hundred thousand dollars (\$100,000) for purchasing the nuclear magnetic resonance equipment (NMR). After a year and a half, we have managed to find Six hundred thousand dollars (\$600,000), two hundred and fifty from my office, one hundred from Provost, two hundred from the foundation, and fifty from the Dean and we are putting them in a bid for this piece of equipment. This is positive because, this piece of equipment is extremely important, not just for our research, but also for the accreditation of our programs, and that is something, you know, you do not want to lose accreditation.

I would also like to ask the Research Committee of the graduate Council if they could produce a process for other requests. In other words, what is the form that faculty may submit? What are the evaluation criteria? and what information they need because I am getting ad hoc requests for core equipment, core facilities, and support. After the approval of the NMR funds, we are going to have about one hundred and fifty thousand dollars (\$150,000) this year, maybe a little bit more, maybe a little bit less and as I am getting these requests, I have no way of evaluating who should be funded, so I would like to ask the committees support and assistance in coming up with some application process, and evaluation process.

Faculty Visits to Conferences: We have also developed a program for supporting faculty visits to conferences. I have received comments and I will include these comments into the final version. I would contact the faculty Senate who have received these forms for their comments of which I have not received anything yet and if I receive no comments, I assume everybody is happy with what we are saying, so, if there are any comments still that have not been transmitted, please do so, so we can move forward. We would like to make it as soon as possible for our faculty to get support from my office to attend conferences and other events where they are invited for performances for presentations or posters.

Tsatsoulis: That is all my report, and I will take any questions that you may have.

Gingrich-Philbrook: I know that Lilliana, who is the chair of the Research Committee has appreciated the engagement in that process, and we will be happy to go forward. She is not able to be with us today because of jury duty, but she wanted me to remark upon the excellent work that members are getting to do, together with the graduate school through that committee.

Tsatsoulis: Thank you. I appreciate it, and I appreciate everybody's hard work. I got a report for the NMR, and I appreciate the process, so I can advise faculty who have these requests, whom to contact, and what information will be needed of them, for this request to be evaluated. Let me put it this way, I want to spend the money, Okay, I do not need the money, I do not want to sit on the money. We need to move forward and research to support our facilities. So please help me do so.

Questions for Vice-Chancellor for Research/Dean of the Graduate School

Gingrich-Philbrook: Are there any questions?

Plunkett: Will Lilliana provide that report? I know she is not going to be here, and I will want to know if she will have a chance to provide that information later? because something did come up in that research committee that I would like to address or I will wait for Lilliana, and next time I can bring it up there.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Kyle, I think, what I would do is to talk with the committee, and yes if there were issues that you wanted raise before the whole Council to ask her to address that is part of the report.

Plunkett: Yes, no problem, I will circle back with her. Thank you.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Is there anything else?

Gingrich-Philbrook: All right, well, let us turn to Karen Jones our Associate Dean.

Remarks from Associate Dean & Director of Graduate School: Karen Jones

Jones: I have placed this report in the chat because the numbers are small, so let me get through this quickly. The first two graphs are the application updates. The first graph is for spring 2023 and we have eight hundred and seventy-three applicants for spring. We have three hundred and ninety-four that have been admitted. What we have here in the graduate school to work on is not eight hundred and seventy-three applications, the bulk of these are in the units right now being reviewed and we only have about sixty of these eight hundred and seventy-three that we can act on right now. So, the procedures that we did put into place during the last full meeting allowed us to process faster, and if we look at this over the years 2019 through last year, we have hundred and fifty applications that had our admissions that had been completed at the same week last year, and we are more than double that for this year at three hundred and ninety-four, So I think that what we are doing is working, and we are getting more students admitted. Of course, we do not have registration numbers yet, because registration just opened this week. These numbers are up to date as of October 31st, So Monday of this week. What Meera reported, about the decrease for fall is true, but I want you to see how small these numbers are. Right now, we only have nineteen admits for fall 2023, and we have two hundred applications, and, like I said, the bulk of these are in the units for review right now. If we look at what is in our bins to work on right now, we have thirty international applications, twenty-four domestics, and three that are in our non-declared, so they do not have a program to review, so those are ones that we will handle internally, and these are for all

three terms coming up for next year. So, this is spring, summer, and fall. Right now, we are close to having all the spring completed, and the majority of fall, so we have jumped kind of to fall numbers, and we are working back to summer admits. So, it is working, and we are staying up to date just to let you know sort of a frame of reference, when we implemented the new procedures, I remember we were at one-fifty, one-sixty, just in international, So the staff has been working very diligently to get these numbers down, and they have been doing an excellent job. So, I want to just do a shout-out to them, thanking them for their extra efforts and hard work.

Jones: Are there any questions on that before I move on?

Jones: I do not see any. All right, so the workshops and events that are coming up as the vice chancellor mentioned just a second ago are.

School funding workshop: We just had a graduate school funding workshop yesterday, which was well attended, and some useful information was relayed that was recorded, so that will shortly go up on our web page for any students who might be interested. So, this was internal funding, earlier in the semester we did external funding, on how to find extra fellowships, and how to apply for those.

Let's talk research: We have a let's talk program that we are doing in partnership with ASPA, and we are going to talk about how to find grants and then how to apply for them. That is coming up on November 14th.

Graduate School Fair: We also have the much-anticipated Graduate School fair, it is on November 17th, and I encourage all of you If you have not done so already, to let your graduate students know, or your undergraduate students know. We have targeted juniors and seniors, but everyone is welcome. We would love to see every program represented at the fair, the event is free, so if you can get your deans, your dawgs, and your programs together and put a table up, we are going to be pushing hard to recruit internally. We have ambitious enrollment goals for the fall of 2023 and, as you can see, our numbers are not so great right now. So, I think that there are some great opportunities, and fantastic programs, we just need to get the word out to our students here and see if we can engage

them and capture their attention and get them to at least think about graduate school, if not for this year, for next year and in the years to come.

One need that we have, as members may be familiar with, is that we have outstanding thesis and outstanding dissertation awards that we give out. We are missing a representation for our outstanding Dissertation Committee. Specifically, we need a representative from the social sciences and the education area, so this would be anthropology, criminal justice, economics, geography, linguistics, political science, psychology, sociology, curriculum and instruction, higher education, rehab education, workforce education, and business administration. If you are from one of those groups and if you could spread the word, please, we need one volunteer to work on this committee, we have, twelve dissertations that were submitted for this award, and we need a representation from this area. So, if you could please consider doing it yourself if you are in one of those areas, or if you can help us find a colleague and just forward the name to me, I will get you connected with the committee charged with reviewing these.

Brevik: A quick question on that Karen, the list there span at least three different colleges in the reorganized version of SIU. What has been done in the past to coordinate that, I mean even previously it would have been at least two, so how do we coordinate that in terms of reaching across these separate groups?

Jones: I am just trying to spread the word. This is what we need, and I do not know that it is a coordinated effort. I cannot be at the Dean's Council tomorrow, but I have got somebody, Rose is going to sit in for me and we are going to ask the Deans if they could help locate and find somebody as well, but I am also asking this group as well because it is kind of graduate education related and quite honestly if Craig can probably attest, It is hard to get volunteers right now, and I am not anticipating that I am going to get a whole lot of volunteers. So, it is kind of first come first serve if I can find somebody from this group. Just to let you know there was a committee two years ago that made recommendations on how these awards procedures should be taken in the areas of representation, that we need to have, so it is a couple of years old, and it might reflect a little bit of the older structure, but I think that the idea behind it was pretty good that we

wanted to have representation from all areas of campus, and this kind of feeds into some of the awards that are external to SIU and I hope that we are going to start nominating some of these outstanding thesis and outstanding dissertations externally, and then they would fit into those categories external to SIU fairly well.

Bacon: I do have a question, when is this service taking place? Because I think the timing might be helpful to know to get a volunteer because there are several committees that are underway, the outstanding thesis award, the Dean's prompt, those are all going on too, so I thought I would check.

Jones: Right now! and I am not quite sure what happened with our previous committee member for this one, but yes, the nominations have already been submitted and I know that everything is already uploaded on D2L, and we are ready to start the review process, and this is an assignment that would start fairly quickly, and I am sorry I do not know exactly when the evaluations are due, but I do know that that this committee has some time to read and evaluate, so it is not like you have to read twelve dissertations in a week, there is some time. But I will make sure, I get that information, and give it to Rose so she can share it at least with the Deans tomorrow.

Jones: Anything else?

Jones: Okay, then I am going to continue here,

Student Travel Grants: we have graduate student travel grants, the awards procedures started in the second week or the end of the first week in October. As of Monday, we have forty-two applications received, twenty-one of those forty-two have been approved, and we have two students who already traveled and submitted all their receipts and the process for reimbursement is underway. So, this looks like it is going to be a popular program, and just wanted to give you an update on that.

601 Hours: Following back from last month's talk when we had a proposal about our 601-language change, I just wanted to let you know that I did not get any specific language changes that came back to me. I did have a student though, who had some good

suggestions and indicated that we should rethink how we are going to do the 601 languages instead of what types of services are lost if we reword that language to what is retained so that we are not trying to cover every possibility out there, so that is the feedback I got. So, with that, that concludes my report unless anybody has questions for me.

Brevik: Just a quick one, on the zoom travel grants, it says half have not been worked on so far, does it mean half have been turned down, or the other half are being evaluated, or some combination?

Jones: So, we have had unique kinds of scenarios, and we are trying to figure out how we are going to approach them. Also, there are delays because we are figuring out internally the processes and procedures that we are going to use like everything is new and you got to tweak it.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Are there any other questions? Okay, Thank you very much.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Our next report is from the library. Do we have a representative from the library?

Remarks from Dean of Library Affairs: John Pollitz

Pollitz: Good morning, everyone. I do not have a whole lot of substance to report, so I will be quick.

Journal subscriptions: More importantly, we are trying to hold a study on Journal subscriptions this year. So, I do not have any cut information for you, and it is getting time that we pay for everything, unless something disastrous happens, we are not going to come out with a list of journals we have cut at this point if things could change.

Reference positions: We have two open reference positions, and we are trying to hire for those. We have an associate Dean position open, and we have three positions open

in circulation, so I apologize if we were not able to address all concerns or all needs. You all know it is difficult finding people around in filling positions. So, we are in that position just like everybody else.

One of the interesting things going on is that we are doing a project with the digital expressions Lab, which is the third name change for the digital humanities lab, but we have given it to Pinckney Benedict and his crew in the creating writing department a space up on the sixth floor of the library, where they are streaming virtual reality and working on all sorts of new forms of scholarship and communications that is non-textual. We also have folks from the history department who are doing podcasts in oral history, and we see that as a real opportunity to move forward in Morris' library and on the SIU campus. To that end, we gave him temporary use of another classroom in the library, where they are now setting up a streaming studio where right now, they are having graduate students in the creative writing program play dungeons and dragons, and it is not as strange as it sounds. It stimulates their creative juices and work on their storytelling abilities and that will be up on a streaming service and then available through YouTube as well. The next phase of that program is to encourage to get a group of faculties to do the same thing but with an eye on stimulating their thought process on how to teach their curriculum in a more gamified situation, and you can trust me, I do not know exactly what is going on up there, nor can I explain it here, but we are trying to do all we can to encourage new ways of scholarship in the library and supporting that kind of scholarship, whether it is grad students or faculty, and we do have several graduate students who are working on some very interesting ways of telling stories or doing scholarship with new modes. Artificial intelligence is working big into that so more on that as it goes along, think about how you can use that with your graduate students, or if there are graduate students who could use high technology, we will try and work with them as best we can.

Another thing to sort of add to close out this section is that on November 16th, at 7:00 pm In Guyon auditorium, we are going to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of our presentation of Scott, Joplin's opera, the only opera, called Treemonisha, it was performed in 1972, the first time it was performed ever was in Atlanta, the second time was at Wolf Trap and the production here was inspired and directed by a man named London Branch, who was

an instructor and a base player for the music department. He put on Treemonisha here with the choreography. The choreography for the whole thing was done by Katherine Dunham, who, you may well know, taught here, and we have our papers in special collections. So, we are going to do a panel discussion and we have got one woman whom I think is saying Treemonisha's role back in 1972, London Branch is in ill health, and he may or may not be on a zoom call, but it should be interesting because we were the third place that this was shown, and so it was an important thing that we did back then, and so please come 7:00 pm, November 16th.

Pollitz: Are there any questions that you might have for me?

Brooten: I just wanted to ask if you could tell us again the most recent name for that lab in Morris.

Pollitz: It is the digital expressions Lab, and it is up on the sixth floor.

Brooten: Thank you.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Any other questions?

Gingrich-Philbrook: That event sounds fascinating. It is always wonderful to look back at our history with the arts and think about how we are doing with them.

Pollitz: Well, one more thing I am sorry, I had the opportunity to be at a meeting in Washington, Dc. two weeks ago, and I went into the National Museum of African, American history and culture, and went up to the top floor, was going to work my way down, but only got through the top floor. But there, in this major museum for the country, on that floor there is an exhibition on Catherine Dunham, and they credit the information provided in that exhibition by the Special Collections Research Center of Southern Illinois University, and I was so proud to be a Saluki at that point at that day. So, thank you very much.

Gingrich-Philbrook: I am next, and I just have a couple of things.

Report from Council Chair: Craig Gingrich-Philbrook

Gingrich-Philbrook: We still need representation on the Graduate Schools Committee on T A distributions. Karen, am I correct that we do not have a person for that yet from Graduate Council? I volunteered to be on the recruitment one since that sort of collapsed into the things that I have been working on, anyway, but we still need someone for your committee on the distribution of T. A. Is that correct?

Jones: Yes, the school of education is missing representation on that one, everything else is set, and they are working right now, even without that position.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Okay, thank you. The next request that we have had is a request for more information from the Department of Public Safety and I do not have an answer to that request yet. You may recall that weeks ago we got a representation for the parking committee, but the Director of Public Safety has an advisory committee, and we need a representative. This is a two-year term, and they are working to set up a meeting as soon as possible. There are concerns also on the table from GPSC that they would want to address.

Jones: I have served on that committee, and it is not time-consuming, but I did not know that there was a problem so that might be different.

Gingrich-Philbrook: I am reading between the lines between a bunch of different requests that I am getting there when I say that, so, Karen, if you can answer this question. Is this a committee that meets monthly, or does it tend to meet more on an ad hoc basis as concerns arise? That is the question I still have out from that about it.

Jones: We met once a semester.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Once a semester. Okay, that is the frame, so is there anyone who would be willing to volunteer for that committee at this time?

Allen: So, just for your information Karen, I do not remember if you were present when I was present, I got on that committee and went to one meeting, asked tough questions, and then stop getting emails about when that committee met, so take that for whatever it is worth.

Jones: I do not think you missed anything. I do not think that there was a day that they had called a committee, if I recall it does not meet often, but it is supposed to meet once a semester.

Gingrich-Philbrook: This is one of the things in the back story that I am saying. There is work to try to get the committee to address them. I know we are all stretched thin, you know, as our faculty numbers have declined, but a request for representation or not, and that shared governance is a commitment, and that we are all doing a lot of things. I see the things that you are doing when I go through videos trying to figure out whom to ask for some of these, I do think that the public safety issue is an important one, and if you are even interested and would like to be on and if you do not get another volunteer list, would you please email me? I would like to get a representation on that committee.

Finally, I guess I will just underscore the importance if we have specific concerns about the language on 601 to get those observations to Karen so that we can move forward on clarifying that policy. As I understand it, when I look at the tuition for 601, we are talking about potentially saving students nine hundred and thirty-nine dollars a year if that is the term of their leave and I think in conditions of hardship, you know that is almost a thousand dollars and that is going to mean a lot particularly to graduate students. So please get any concerns that you have to her, just want to support that. Thank you.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Our next report is from GPSC, Rachel.

Report from GPSC: Rachel Nozicka

Nozicka: Good morning, GPSC met last night, and we had three focal points of discussion.

Our first and main point of the discussion focused on considering the addition of a fund to help students with professional development needs for things outside of conferences, travel, and presentation. Things like exams for licensure for a CPA or the ethics test for the bar. But we are looking into the logistics and guidelines for that, and we want to make sure that we are following all the State guidelines and things, but that is something we are considering.

We also discussed campus and community safety, which kind of builds on what we were just talking about here. Our president, Caleb McKinley-Portee, had put together a town hall about safety, but it was not able to happen. Caleb and Dr. Jeffrey Burke are going to meet with the city manager, and the Carbondale Chief of police on Monday to discuss safety. So, the things that we brought up for him to talk about at that meeting were discussions about scooters, both on campus and in Carbondale, and that was our main point of discussion. But if you have anything else that you would like him to bring up, please feel free to let us know here, or I will put my email in the chat So we can have that brought up.

The last thing we discussed that came up was a concern that some students are working a lot more than their assistantships allow for, so we are looking into that, because we have had reports from lots of different disciplines, and so we are looking into that a little bit further. That is all I had, thank you

Gingrich-Philbrook: Thank you. Are there questions for Rachel?

Gingrich-Philbrook: Okay, Thomas must teach a class this morning, and so asked to postpone his report to the end I have it to give if he has not arrived by the time we get there. So, let us move on to the report from the Dean's Council. Eric.

Report from Dean's Council: Eric Brevik

Brevik: Good morning, everybody. In the informal Deans Council meeting earlier this week Terry Clark told us that he is stepping down as the Dean of the college of business, so there is currently an internal search underway for an interim Dean to cover that, as Terry will be finished at the end of December with his time as Dean there.

The Deans all have expressed gratitude towards the VCR's office, and the graduate school for the travel grants for the graduate students, which we just talked about a little bit earlier with Karen's report, which is a great support for our graduate students and their education moving to professional life, and we are very appreciative of that.

We had a student zoom recruiting workshop yesterday morning, and one of the things that did get brought up was not a central theme of that workshop, but what was brought up related to what the Council here discusses is that we do need to spend more time looking at and evaluating retention of graduate students and what we can do to improve that graduates in the retention. So, this is something that I guess we should have on our radar, and to be considering as dean's council, as a graduate council, but, directly, we need to be looking at.

Finally, the Deans in our discussions at the informal Dean's council would like to thank Meera for everything she has done for the University in her years here at SIU and wish her the best of luck in her new position at Cal state. Thank you.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Are there any questions or comments?

Tsatsoulis: I just wanted to add that one of the things that I mentioned yesterday was that we would be having a survey of the graduate students, and I would ask for Rachel's help in that, as well to find out what they think is an issue that they are facing. That may hurt retention and graduation. So, we are going to be talking to the graduate students and we have a survey almost ready, and it is going to go out to our graduate students, and I would like, of course, Rachel's help, and the graduate professional Students Council help

to make sure that we get a very, very strong response in the survey, so we can find out what stops Graduate students from graduating and being successful.

Nozicka: I would be happy to work with you.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Our next report is from our faculty Senate liaison Bethany.

Report from Faculty Senate: Bethany Rader

Rader: Hi, Good morning. Faculty Senate met on Tuesday, October 11th, during which we approved the following RMEs.

An RME to move the minor in Latino Latina and Latin American studies to the school of Africana and Multicultural studies, and rename it to Latino, Latino, Latina x, and Latin American studies.

We approved an RME to move the minor and women, gender, and sexuality studies to the school of Africana and Multicultural Studies.

We approved an RME to create a minor in social justice.

We approved an RME to create an undergraduate certificate program in conservation law enforcement.

We approved an RME to create a dual concurrent or joint degree between the Bs and paralegal studies, and the JD In law.

In addition to that, we approved twenty-eight faculty members to positions on twenty-three Senate and University-wide committees.

Rader: That is my report. Let me know if you have any questions.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Well, I must go and learn more about that new minor and social justice. That is wonderful. Thank you. And our next report is from Heidi Bacon the chair of the new programs committee.

Report from New Programs Committee: Heidi Bacon

Bacon: Good morning, everyone. My report is very brief. Concerning the three plus three paralegal law school program, the RME that was just approved at a faculty Senate that Bethany mentioned, we had a question at our last grad Council meeting about the final year of tuition, and so we did hear Craig reach out, and we did hear back on that, the tuition rate applied in the last year at the undergrad and first year of the law school program, is, in essence, the same for the four year degree. So, it is one less year of law school than they would have outside of such a program, which represents a substantial cost saving, so that addresses that question.

We also have a new RME under consideration, and again, this is for a concurrent BA. JD program between political science and the School of Law. The committee took this up, however, we do have questions, and one of the questions that we have reached out to have an answer to relates to whether students who are unable to finish the law degree, for whatever reason, can still have a pathway to finishing the bachelor's degree. So, we are waiting for information to address committee members' concerns and we are hoping to have a resolution for that RME at the December meeting, and that is the extent of the business that the new programs committee has conducted.

Bacon: Any questions?

Gingrich-Philbrook: Thank you. Our next report is from, Andy Wilber from educational policies.

Report from Educational Policies Committee: Andy Wilber

Wilber: Thanks, Craig. I just wanted to thank Jeremy for standing in for me at the last meeting, as I had other teaching obligations, but he led the charge on four resolutions that came out of the Education Policy Committee, and these were changes to the graduate catalog. One of those Dr. Jones mentioned is still under modification and I guess it will go into potentially be a change for next year's graduate catalog. We are beyond the deadline now for any changes that could occur this year. But I have nothing new to report beyond that Just wanted to say, Thank you, Jeremy, for volunteering

Allen: No problem. Thank you.

Report from Research Committee: Liliana Lefticariu

Gingrich-Philbrook: As I mentioned before, we do not have a report from Lefticariu today, because she is on jury duty, and so Lisa, Is there a report from the program review?

Report from Program Review Committee: Lisa Brooten

Brooten: There is no report currently.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Thank you. Well, I see we do not have Tomas back yet. I do not believe we do. So let me give you the report that he sent me. It is also brief.

Report from Council Vice-Chair: Tomas Velasco

Gingrich-Philbrook: So first he wanted to let us know that the graduate school Student Appeals Committee determined that there was sufficient evidence and approved the appearance hearing request. So now the student grievance committee is being formed for that hearing, and that new committee needs another graduate faculty member. So, if

you are willing to serve as a member of that committee, Tomas would like you to email him so that he can help with the formation of that committee.

Jones: Can I say something, the SAC committee that approved the hearing is composed of a small group of people, but as we go to the actual grievance hearing it says in our policies that nobody from that college, can serve on that committee. So that is why we are having to find a replacement. Because normally the SAC would just turn into the grievance committee. That is the way it has been when I have seen it done in the past. But we need that one person to switch out because we have a conflict. So, he is only looking for one person, and it would be somebody that is not in health and human sciences. Thank you

Gingrich-Philbrook: I will add that to another sort of omnibus. We need this representation email that I send out to you all just to come in. I will just keep all of that in for you.

Gingrich-Philbrook: That is the end of our meeting for today unless there are additional questions or observations.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Okay, is there a motion to adjourn?

Adjournment

Jones: Moved.

Ellsworth: Seconded.

Gingrich-Philbrook: Thanks, everyone. I hope you have a pleasant day and a good conclusion to the fall semester. I will see you in December.

Meeting adjourned at 9:06 AM